What is CAPOW?
Statement of Purpose
CAPOW! (Citizens Act to Protect Our Water) is a non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to the protection of the public ownership of the Chicago Water System, water quality, maintenance of the system and water usage. Fundamental to the protection of our water is public ownership and citizen oversight.
The Mission of CAPOW! is to inform and educate the public, media and government officials about the issues of public ownership of the water system, water quality and water usage and to promote the adoption of legislation and policies designed to ensure the public ownership of Chicago’s water system and the maintenance of high water quality.
We Support These Principles
- We maintain that access to safe, clean, and affordable water is a basic human right.
- We support public education to inform citizens and public officials of water quality, water ownership and water usage issues.
- We maintain that the public must be involved in decisions affecting our lives.
- We maintain that important decisions that have a long term effect Chicago’s water system be open and transparent.
- We oppose selling, leasing, or otherwise giving control of Chicago’s water to private interests.
- We support binding legislation protecting public ownership of Chicago’s water.
- We support studies and research to explore improved methods of maintaining safe, clean and affordable water.
- We support creative and innovative public policies that address long term water needs for the Chicago Water System and protect the Great Lakes.
For more information, contact us at
Please support CAPOW! Contributions can be sent payable to Chicago Media Watch with a memo of "CAPOW". Yes, Chicago Media Watch is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Please send checks with your name, address and email address to the following street address.
P.O. Box 268617
Chicago, IL 60626